What does ASCD stand for?
ASCD stands for the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and is the acronym for the International ASCD, based in Virginia.
What is the difference between ASCD and Texas ASCD?
Texas ASCD, based in Austin, Texas, refers to the regional affiliate of the International ASCD. When referring to ASCD, we are referring to the International ASCD in Virginia. The focus of the International ASCD are issues important to educators on a federal or national and international level, while Texas ASCD's focus is on state issues important more specifically to Texas educators. The acronym for Texas ASCD is TxASCD, not TASCD.
Is there one place I can go to pay dues to ASCD, Texas ASCD and a Texas ASCD regional affiliate?
No, however you can pay dues for ASCD and Texas ASCD through the International ASCD. You can also pay dues for your local chapter and Texas ASCD through the Texas ASCD office. Please note that each entity assesses its own dues and membership, and each requires that a separate dues fee be paid.
Can I join Texas ASCD via the Texas ASCD web site?
Yes, you can join by clicking HERE. There you can either pay on-line by credit card using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, or you can download the membership application. Return the completed application along with payment, to Texas ASCD, 1601 Rio Grande, Ste. 451, Austin, Texas 78701 via US mail or fax the application along with payment to 512-477-8215.
What are the benefits of joining Texas ASCD?
There are great benefits to becoming a member of Texas ASCD.
- You will receive discounts on all of Texas ASCD professional learning offerings, which include the annual conference, regional conferences, institutes and academies.
- You will receive three on-line publications via e-mail, Leaders of Learners, the education journal of Texas ASCD covering best practices and research-based strategies in the ever-changing world of education; Leadership, which is the association newsletter and, finally, One-Liner, a weekly summary of all TEA publications and communications.
- As a Texas ASCD member, your voice will be heard by Texas state legislators through your feedback and participation on the Texas ASCD Influence Committee.
- The opportunity to network with colleagues across the state.
Can I join more than one Texas ASCD affiliate?
You can join as many of our affiliates as you would like; however, we strongly encourage you to become a Texas ASCD regional affiliate member in your local area. As you are well aware, education issues vary throughout the state. Each Texas ASCD affiliate is equipped to address issues pertinent to their local area.
Can I update my membership on the Texas ASCD web site?
Yes, you can via the Membership page link.
What forms of payment are accepted?
Cash, Check, VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Payroll Deduction
Does Texas ASCD offer membership for students and retired educators?
Yes we do. Please check the Membership page for pricing information.
Do I have to be a Texas ASCD member to be eligible to attend your professional learning offerings?
No. Anyone can register to attend Texas ASCD Professional Learning offerings, but members can register at a discounted rate.
Will my e-mail address be provided to another organization?
No. It is the policy of the Texas ASCD Board of Directors that no member contact information will be provided to any outside organization unless specified in writing by the member. For pre annual conference promotion purposes, we will provide the exhibitors of the Texas ASCD annual conference the name and address of the attendees registered to attend, but not your e-mail.
What are the requirements to host a Texas ASCD institute, regional conference or academy?
Requirements to host a Texas ASCD Professional Learning offering are as follows:
1) room or space to accommodate at least 60 people, classroom style;
2) provide A/V as requested by presenter;
3) morning refreshments each day of the event;
4) a commitment to advertise the event in your district and a mutually designated number of participants.
Does my district get a discount for its attendees when hosting a professional learning opportunity?
Depending on the type of professional learning offering (institute, regional conference, or academy) a per person discount will be offered the hosting district.
Does Texas ASCD offer on-line learning communities?
Not at this time. Steps are being taken to enable on-line blogs that allow follow up discussion for the participants of our professional learning offerings.