Frequently asked Questions
ASCD stands for the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development and is the acronym for the International ASCD, based in Virginia.
Texas ASCD, based in Austin, Texas, refers to the regional affiliate of the International ASCD. When referring to ASCD, we are referring to the International ASCD in Virginia. The focus of the International ASCD are issues important to educators on a federal or national and international level, while Texas ASCD’s focus is on state issues important more specifically to Texas educators. The acronym for Texas ASCD is TxASCD, not TASCD.
No, however you can pay dues for ASCD and Texas ASCD through the International ASCD. You can also pay dues for your local chapter and Texas ASCD through the Texas ASCD office. Please note that each entity assesses its own dues and membership, and each requires that a separate dues fee be paid.
Yes, you can join by clicking HERE. There you can either pay on-line by credit card using Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, or you can download the membership application. Return the completed application along with payment, to Texas ASCD, 1601 Rio Grande, Ste. 451, Austin, Texas 78701 via US mail or fax the application along with payment to 512-477-8215.
There are great benefits to becoming a member of Texas ASCD.
- You will receive discounts on all of Texas ASCD professional learning offerings, which include the annual conference, regional conferences, institutes and academies.
- You will receive three on-line publications via e-mail, Leaders of Learners, the education journal of Texas ASCD covering best practices and research-based strategies in the ever-changing world of education; Leadership, which is the association newsletter and, finally, One-Liner, a weekly summary of all TEA publications and communications.
- As a Texas ASCD member, your voice will be heard by Texas state legislators through your feedback and participation on the Texas ASCD Influence Committee.
- The opportunity to network with colleagues across the state.
You can join as many of our affiliates as you would like; however, we strongly encourage you to become a Texas ASCD regional affiliate member in your local area. As you are well aware, education issues vary throughout the state. Each Texas ASCD affiliate is equipped to address issues pertinent to their local area.
To determine if you are already a Texas ASCD member, contact the Membership Associate, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 512-477-8200.
Cash, Check, VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Payroll Deduction.
No. Anyone can register to attend Texas ASCD Professional Learning offerings, but members can register at a discounted rate.
No. It is the policy of the Texas ASCD Board of Directors that no member contact information will be provided to any outside organization unless specified in writing by the member. For pre annual conference promotion purposes, we will provide the exhibitors of the Texas ASCD annual conference the name and address of the attendees registered to attend, but not your e-mail.
To reprint of an article that appears in any Texas ASCD publication, you must submit your request in writing to the Communications Associate, either by e-mail to email@example.com or mail your request to the Texas ASCD office, 1601 Rio Grande, Ste. #451, Austin, Texas. In the request you must state the purpose for article use.
You can submit an article anytime for publication. Electronic submission is preferred but hard copy will also be accepted. Send your article to the Communications Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1601 Rio Grande, Ste. #451, Austin, Texas 78701. Texas ASCD reserves the right to determine the date and publication in which your article will be published.
Requirements to host a Texas ASCD Professional Learning offering are as follows:
- room or space to accommodate at least 60 people, classroom style;
- provide A/V as requested by presenter;
- morning refreshments each day of the event;
- a commitment to advertise the event in your district and a mutually designated number of participants.
Depending on the type of professional learning offering (institute, regional conference, or academy) a per person discount will be offered the hosting district.
Not at this time. Steps are being taken to enable on-line blogs that allow follow up discussion for the participants of our professional learning offerings.