Successful teachers keep the brain’s natural learning abilities in mind. Expand your understanding of brain-friendly teaching strategies with an enthusiastic veteran “neuroeducator.” Learn how stress and perceived threat, lack of inclusion, and chaos in the classroom can minimize learning. Discover how multi-sensory experiences in an enriched environment can promote brain growth and development. Build up your repertoire of differentiated instructional strategies to help students actively process new learning to assure long-term retention. Learn new techniques to engage your students as the presenter models the strategies. No matter what grade level or subject you teach – you will gain tons of ideas from this popular presenter.
Presentation Part 1: “Begin with the Brain: Three Things New Teachers Need to Know
Brain-Compatible Element # 1 – LESS STRESS!!
- Stress, and Perceived Threat can minimize the brain’s capabilities to learn
- Create a Safe and Secure Climate and Environment
- Avoid the REFLEX Response: Inclusion & Physical Environment
Brain-Compatible Element # 2 – DO THE REAL THING
- Neural Plasticity: Multi-sensory experiences promote brain growth and connections
- Provide Enriched “Learner-Centered” Environments for learning
- Encourage First Hand Experiences, Discovery Play and Meaningful Engagement
Brain-Compatible Element #3 – USE IT OR LOSE IT!
- Multiple opportunities to Actively Process new learning assures Long Term Retention
- Differentiate Instruction, Provide Choices, Vary Grouping and Honor the Multiple Intelligences
- Orchestrate opportunities to apply new learning in real-world experiences
Presentation Part 2: “Think Big, Start Small: Differentiated Instructional Strategies That Work!”
- Managing the Differentiated Classroom: Systems & Procedures – The Key to Successful Differentiation.
- Build up a repertoire of practical differentiated strategies to:
- Engage Learners: Get students’ attention using novelty, movement, and humor. Keep them engaged using variety, relevancy and meaningfulness.
- Explore the Concepts and Skills: Learn a variety of ways to differentiate tasks and vary how students process what they are learning. Learn ways to adapt, modify and tier lessons so that all students are working on challenging tasks.
- Extend Learning: Discover ways to challenge highly-capable learners with lateral enrichment. Learn how to set up Anchor Activities for students who finish assignments early.
Course Details:Differentiated Instruction / Brain Research
Fee (nonmembers): $175
Fee (TXASCD members): $150
To Schedule, Call: 512-477-8200